Monday, August 31, 2009

Life lessons in Hollywood

Celebrity Kourtney Kardashian is pregnant and she explains to People magazine her decision to carry her child to term.
"I do think every woman should have the right to do what they want, but I don't think it's talked through enough. I can't even tell you how many people just say, 'Oh, get an abortion.' Like it's not a big deal." ...

Confused and concerned, Kardashian says, "I called my best friend crying, and I was like, 'I don't know what to do.' She said, 'Call your doctor, and at least find out the risks and stuff.' " So Kardashian discussed abortion with her physician, and then headed to the Internet to do further research.

"I looked online, and I was sitting on the bed hysterically crying, reading these stories of people who felt so guilty from having an abortion," she recalls. "I was reading these things of how many people are traumatized by it afterwards."

After scouring the Internet, Kardashian says she started to realize that an abortion wasn't an option for her. "I was just sitting there crying, thinking, 'I can't do that,' " she says. "And I felt in my body, this is meant to be. God does things for a reason, and I just felt like it was the right thing that was happening in my life."

Kardashian says she did some intense soul-searching. "For me, all the reasons why I wouldn't keep the baby were so selfish: It wasn't like I was raped, it's not like I'm 16. I'm 30 years old, I make my own money, I support myself, I can afford to have a baby. And I am with someone who I love, and have been with for a long time." ...

"My doctor told me there is nothing you will ever regret about having the baby, but he was like, 'You may regret not having the baby.' And I was like: That is so true. And it just hit me. I got so excited, and when I told Scott he was so excited."
It's wonderful that Kardashian has chosen life and that her reasons have been widely publicized. I hope women facing unexpected pregnancies will be positively influenced by her story. But I do wish she would follow through on the logic of her own implied views, which would mean embracing the full pro-life position -- that abortion ought to be prohibited by law.

Note that she speaks of "keep[ing] the baby," implying a baby already exists. Note also that she decided her reasons for having an abortion weren't morally sufficient. The only reason to think weighty reasons are necessary, it seems to me, is if abortion takes the life of a human being (a "baby"). And the killing of human beings is precisely the sort of practice that society should not allow.